stat counter

Thursday, January 6, 2011

EARTH ANGEL


Most of us have seen the pretty, petite woman swinging on the vines over Main Highway. I figured Jungle Woman to be just another Grove character. I'd smile, wave, and keep my distance.


I'd do the same thing when I'd see her dancing in front of Plymouth Congregational Church.


Who does things like that?


I found out a few years ago when I started attending the Grove historic landmark. I'd see the ever-smiling vine swinger, Angela Miller, volunteering at every church function. At the time I did not know that she was an angel.


Later I learned her addiction to alcohol had nearly killed her in 2000. Her near-death experience transformed her life in unique ways. She got healthy, sober, and started swinging from trees. She told folks God had saved her so she could become one of his angels on Earth. Angela was constantly doing good deeds and even wrote a book about her transformative experience.


Last Christmas Eve Angela served as a deacon for all three services. Its a lot of work and our church cheerleader seemed fine to me. A week later (New Years Day) breast cancer took her from us at the age of 59.


Hundreds of people attended her funeral today. Reverend Tom told us about the first time she announced her angelic transformantion. When he asked, "Don't you have to die first?" she enthusiastically replied, "I've already done that!"


Now, dying twice, she has really earned her wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment