stat counter

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

ELEPHANT DANCE

      A month ago I was writing about our adventures in North Florida.  My last entry had us beginning the long trip home but wanting one more taste of something Un-Miami.  Fanning Springs, 80 miles southeast of Tallahassee, seemed perfect, a place to dive into clear, cool water, thirty-feet deep. 

     At the natural pool's edge I  saw something moving below.  It couldn't have been the Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Francesca and I had left him a week earlier in Wakulla Springs.   


  I was looking at a huge sea cow gently grazing in sea grass.  Wanting to share her world I dove in. 
When the bubbles cleared I was  face-to-face with 700 pounds of mammalian love. I was astounded, mesmerized by this brief,
 otherworld encounter with a sea-going elephant. 
   As I headed up for air, she did too.  Me and the manatee,  pas de deux.  
  After a few minutes of this I headed to the shore.  She followed me a bit then turned back. Sea grass can be so delicious.
    

                              ____________




PS:  Our last stop had us stretching our imaginations. We visited a religious site centered around the belief that we live inside the earth's crusts. More on that later. 
                                    _______

No comments:

Post a Comment